Sunday 2 September 2018

Does moving/ reallocating Pagefile.sys affect performance (Windows 7)?


I've reallocated my pagefile to a different partition (1GB on primary partition and 4GB on a different one), does this affect any performance or cause any known issues in future? (My system has 4GB RAM)


Why I did it, I basically wanted to free up space on my windows primary partition so thought of moving hibernation file to a different partition but looks like its not possible.


Since I can't move hibernate file, I reallocated the pagefile.



Answer



Just moving it does not affect performance. If, however, you are relocating the pagefile.sys to a significantly faster drive - an SSD for example - you would see a significant difference in performance.


This assumes, of course, that your system relies on your pagefile heavily. If you have enough RAM in your system, there is little reliance on the pagefile and the perceived performance benefit will be minimal.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...