Saturday 29 September 2018

Macbook Pro: disable Win7 discrete GPU with no screen access

Backstory


It's a well-documented problem with Macbook Pro 2011 models that from 2014 onwards, the discrete GPUs that are automatically activated and deactivated (or whatever, I'm not going to pretend I know all the words) have started burning out, dieing and generally being a pain.


Last week it happened to mine, and after learning about the problem and figuring it out, I disabled (i.e. moved to the desktop) the AMD + ATI GPU driver files on my OSX partition, via single user mode, to prevent the discrete GPU from firing up at launch.


Result: my Macbook Pro lives on, powered by the integrated graphics.


The Problem


I now wish to boot up into my Windows 7 (Bootcamp-augmented) system, but when it starts, the screen cuts to black, signalling to me at least that it too is trying to utilise the dead discrete GPU.


Required help


So, without getting to the Win7 desktop, I need to somehow disable/delete/move whatever drivers/settings are allowing Windows 7 to use the discrete GPU, and force it to instead rely ONLY on the integrated graphics.


Is there a way to do this with a Win7 equivalent of Mac's single user/shell mode?


Key details / tl;dr



  • Macbook Pro 2011; OS 10.8 and Win7 partitions

  • Discrete GPU is bust; OSX relying on integrated graphics, Win7 still trying to use bust GPU

  • Black screen on Windows 7 boot; no control

  • How do I disable discrete GPU, force win7 to use integrated graphics, with no screen access to system?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...