Wednesday 26 September 2018

windows 7 - Can't map to second share on remote computer


PC1 & PC2 are both running Windows 7 Professional. 64-bit & 32-bit respectively.


PC1 contains a secondary internal HDD, as D:\


PC1 also has an external HDD as E:\


D & E are shared on PC1.


On PC2, I can map to \\PC1\E, using the credentials of PC1's admin user.


On PC2, if I attempt to map to \\PC1\D, using the credentials of PC1's admin user, I receive an error:



The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password.


To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share.



If I open cmd and run net use, I see that \\PC1\E is mapped, but \\PC1\D is not mentioned.


Why can't I map to \\PC1\D on PC2? Thanks.



Answer



On Windows 7, once you've authenticated against a server, you don't have to reauth for other mappings.


In fact, if you map a share to a drive letter, and then try to map a different share on the same server to a different drive letter, and then enter on the Map Network Drive dialog the same username and password used on the first drive mapping, you get this confusing error message:



The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password.



Despite the network folder not being mapped at all, and the username and password used not being different.



This baffled me for a while until I realized that once you have mapped to "server1" using those credentials, you can map to different shares on the same server without re-specifying the credentials.



(source)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...