Sunday 2 September 2018

browser - Fuzzy Arial font on Windows, clearer on Linux


I noticed that on Linux Arial font is much clearer and sharper (for me more legible) than on Windows.


Google Chrome Version 35.0.1916.153 on openSUSE 13.1 x64 (post where text taken)



Blockquote



Google Chrome Version 35.0.1916.153 m on Microsoft Windows 7



Blockquote



Tried also with Mozilla Firefox 30.0, Opera and Safari.


I'm very curious how to achieve Arial font to be clear on Windows as is on Linux. Personally the only font I found legible on Windows web browser is Verdana. I tested Verdana using Chrome extension 'Font Changer with Google Web Fonts™'. I'm interested in other clear, sharp Windows web browsers fonts e.g. fonts that Windows renders properly, size increase/decrease doesn't make font fuzzy.



Answer



Solved it by setting registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop > FontSmoothing to value 1. Now the fonts look as in Microsoft Windows XP, sharper, clearer, readable (although they are not the same as in Linux, but still they are a lot more readable).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...