Wednesday 26 September 2018

ubuntu - Should I put the home directories on an SSD?



Considering the usage of home directories under Linux, should I put them on an SSD disk along with the OS (perhaps on a separate EXT4 partition) or should I leave them on spindle?


What's your view?



Answer



I have a ssd for 5 years (I think) and more then 40 OS installed,deleted... Still alive. I think the best is to keep yor /home on ssd on a separate partition(assuming that space/number of partition allow this).I have a laptop that I share with coworkers, there I put /home on mmc card (most of them are win users, I don't want them to acces something in ssd). Also, for a modern OS, don't use ext2/3 because of less writes on ssd: ext4 is well optimised in kernel, fast and reliable. Some app like firefox and chrome „feel” the diference:they are much slower on hdd. If you pay ssd, use ssd.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...