Sunday 23 September 2018

linux - How to set Default Browser on Ubuntu from command line?


I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 with Fluxbox.


Since I installed Chromium-browser, it has been set as the default system browser (don't know why, don't know when, maybe I clicked accept somewhere without paying attention). Now every web link I click (for example from Skype), Chromium will be opened instead of Firefox.


How can I make Firefox my system default browser?


I need to set this preference using the command line.



Answer



From the terminal, use


sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

This will provide a list of installed browsers, similar to the following (which is mine):


There are two alternatives which provide `x-www-browser'.
Selection Path Priority Status
-------------------------------------------------------------
* 1 /usr/bin/chromium-browser 40 auto mode
2 /usr/bin/firefox 40 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

Just hit the selection number for the browser you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...