Saturday 22 September 2018

linux - How to do rsync-like encrypted backup?


I want to save a backup of my data on a remote server, but never want the backup server to see the data unencrypted. Editing a single file and backing up should not result in everything being encrypted and sent again. The remote server should preferably not even know the directory structure (and especially not the directory names).


Is there such a solution?



Answer



The best thing around is Duplicity. The only drawback is that it does not handle hardlinks.


Another solution is Tartarus, which can be piped through GPG and FTP/SSH directly to a backup server. It does incrementals.


Here are Tartarus instructions, in German.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...