Friday 28 September 2018

macos - Where does OS X Mountain Lion store Notes data?


Any idea about where OS X Mountain Lion stores Notes data? Is there a way that I can recover lost Notes?



Answer



Notes are stored as HTML in an apparently non-standard binary format in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/NotesV1.storedata-wal.


You can grep for known note contents on the command line, or print all notes (stored as HTML):



cat ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/NotesV1.storedata-wal | grep -aio '.*'





While I was writing this answer, I also had the problem once that Notes restarted with data reset. The next launch, everything was there again, even though I had created new notes after the reset (so both the old and new notes existed on third launch). Maybe just try quitting and starting Notes again?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...