Tuesday 25 September 2018

windows 7 - use two external hard drive as one


I am planning to purchase a second external hard drive and I am trying to figure out a minimalist setting to use two external drives at the same time (I don’t want to plug two drives into my computer, so ruled out that solution). In addition, I also have a laptop drive at spare. So if there is a way I can use it with my existing external drive, I don’t even need to buy a new drive.


Here is what I am thinking:




  1. Using an external drive docking station. The problem is I need to break my current external drive casing and pull out the drive inside. I am not sure if that internal piece would require some extra circuits, and if it is of standard size (2.5” or 3.5”)




  2. Somehow connect two external drives in serial, so I only need to plug in one drive into my computer to access them both. A slight disturbance is power supply. Not sure if the "main" drive can provide enough current to the secondary drive.




The first way is more economically sound, since I have a spare laptop drive. The second way sounds more robust. But I don’t know exactly whether either of them work.


I understand I can just buy an enclosure for the laptop drive and use it as an external. But my question is how can I use two external drives as I am just using one (with a single connecting cable to my computer).



Answer



If your data is important, you don't want to be doing anything "non-standard".


I would say you have two safe solutions that come to mind:



  1. Buy a larger external drive.

  2. Buy an enclosure that supports multiple drives and configurations and install the drives in that. You may need to buy a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter. And depending on the enclosure purchased, the drives may be seen as a single drive by the operating system or separate drives using a single connection.


Note, it's quite possible any "dual" drive solution will likely require separate power whereas a single laptop hard drive connected externally can have power supplied by the computer's USB port.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...