Sunday 10 June 2018

drivers - Uninstall AMDGPU-PRO without deleting Mesa multimedia


The amdgpu-pro docs (https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) mention that Mesa multimedia files are installed with the amdgpu installation. I had Mesa working, but wanted to install amdgpu-pro. (Let's avoid the topic of whether it was a mistake or not to want such a thing.) amdgpu-pro has totally borked my graphics.


Is there a way to uninstall amdgpu-pro without killing Mesa support at the same time?


Some details: OS: Debian 10 AMDGPU-PRO version: most recent Ubuntu (Oct 2019) GPU: rx580


Some attempts: sudo amdgpu-pro-uninstall doesn't give me my graphics back, and if I do sudo apt purge amdgpu* (from the console in recovery), I lose the Mesa support.



Answer



A huge thanks to freenode's #dri-devel , @kostix, and this article.


Here's what worked for me in the end, through a ton of trial and error. I must confess that I don't know if all of the installs are necessary, but I followed the article I linked above on the same run as I removed amdgpu*, so I don't really know what precisely made it all work. It may be that apt remove didn't take out the drivers that Mesa needed, or maybe libdrm-amdgpu1 and xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu were enough (especially once using only apt remove. If you're using this hands-on, I sincerely doubt that you need to install Vulkan (the second line of installs), but I can't see it hurting either, so I'm keeping it in for now.


apt remove amdgpu*
apt install libdrm-amdgpu1 xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers libvulkan1 vulkan-tools vulkan-utils vulkan-validationlayers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...