Wednesday 2 May 2018

networking - Ubuntu Wireless Driver reinstall


My Wireless driver is deactivated and I had it before. I know that it's there, it just won't show. Ubuntu in it's full-gloried-smartness wants to download the wireless driver. (FYI, my LAN port is broken, snapped pins. )


The driver should be there from before. Any clue how to re-enable it from the local copy of the driver? I shouldn't need to re-download it.



  1. Ubuntu saw the card and used the right driver.

  2. I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10.

  3. Ubuntu saw the card and did not use the driver.


ifconfig doesn't show wireless card. It's a Broadcom chipset. "Broadcom STA Wireless driver"



Answer



In the end, I used (I can't remember if sudo was required or not.)


(sudo) modprobe wl

to force the kernel to load the old driver, since it was there all along. Then, as stated above, the "missing" driver was reinstalled over the network. Weird.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...