Saturday 5 May 2018

linux - How can I verify that a 1TB file transferred correctly?

I frequently transfer VM images from hypervisors to an archive server for long term storage.


I transfer using netcat since it is faster than scp, rsync, ect..


hypervisor$ cat foo.box | nc  1234

archive$ nc -l -p 1234 > foo.box

When the file has finished transferring, I verify there was no corruption by running md5sum on both the target and source.


Unfortunately, running a md5sum on a large file can take a very long time. How can I more quickly compare the integrity of two large files?


Update:



  • My transmission rarely gets interrupted so restart-ability is not an issue.

  • It generally takes 3-4 hours to transfer via NC and then 40 minutes to get the md5sum.

  • The security of the hash is not an issue in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...