Monday 19 March 2018

windows 7 - What are the best WiFi settings for my situation?


I am trying to tweak my WiFi settings on the router and on my laptop so I can enjoy using the WiFi at my attic. For now I only get headaches because I cannot move freely around with my laptop at the attic because at some (further away from the router) spots the connection drops. This is really frustrating.


The distance between my laptop and my router is 6.5 to 9 meters with one concrete and one wooden floor between it.


First I started looking for the right channel to use as there is much WiFi traffic at my location, I choose 13 because it looked like the one which is the least used one by looking at these results (my network is WLANGZX):


scanning result from inSSIDer 2.0


Large image>1<


scanning result from router


Large image>2<


Now I am stuck because I don't know which options I should use?


This are all the option screens:


My WiFi adapter in the laptop


In the picture above the following settings have been used:


Option                          Available Options                           Selected Option/Value

802.11 Bluetooth High Speed Enable/Disable Disable
802.11b Preamble Long and Short/Long Long and Short
AdHoc 11n Enable/Disable Disable
Dynmic MIMO Power Save Enable/Disable Disable
Green Tx On/Off Off
Network Address Value: NULL
Receive Buffers 1 to 512 512
Roaming Policy Very Low/Low/Normal/High/Very High Normal
Scan Valid Interval 20-120 60
Transmit Buffers 1 to 512 512

Which settings should I change here? Most of the settings I don't know what they do.


Here are settings from the routers webpage:


enter image description here


Changing the channel is not needed, right? I choose a good one?


(I do not have the 5Ghz band available :( )


enter image description here


And if I hide the SSID would the connection be better?


enter image description here


Does the encryption type matter in case of connection stability and for a long distance-connection?


And what about the password lenght?


Also, are there any Windows 7 tweaks which could make the WiFi connection better?


Thanks in advance for your time and effort. This could help other many users aswell.


Notes:


-ofcourse all my drivers are up-to-date


-The router is 802.11g ONLY



Answer



First, ensure that the router is off the floor and away from walls and metal objects (such as metal file cabinets).


As regarding channels: Just try them all one-by-one at a time when the neighbors are probably at home.


Some more ideas are to be found in the article Top 10 Wi-Fi Boosts, Tweaks and Apps.


Idea number 2 is probably the best, to enhance your router's wireless antenna with aluminum foil : If your router is near an outside wall, half of the wireless signals will be sent outside your home, so much of your router's power is wasted.


There are many ideas on how to do that, going from this idea, further explained here, that results in:


image1


And up to the very simple :


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact&#39;s avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...