Sunday 18 March 2018

vpn - How to load tun module in linux?


I cannot manage to load the tun module in my ArchLinux box. I’m trying to connect with OpenVPN, but the log says:


nm-openvpn[6662]: Note: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such device (errno=19)

lsmod | grep tun

Returns nothing:


If I run:


sudo modprobe tun

It returns failure, but no error message, and lsmod still has no tun. The module seems to exist, as there is a tun.ko.gz in /lib/modules/.


I really dont know what else to try.



Answer



This answer is probably a bit late, but I ran into the problem, exactly as described, myself.


Running OpenVPN would produce:


Note: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)

And running tunctl would produce:


Failed to open '/dev/net/tun' : No such file or directory

And this command had no output:


lsmod | grep tun

When attempting to add the tun module via:


modprobe tun

modprobe would exit with a failure error code (1), and nothing changed.


I found an alternate way of activating the tun module via insmod. First locate the module with this command:


find /lib/modules/ -iname 'tun.ko.gz'

Then use insmod with the returned path (I only got one match), for example:


insmod /lib/modules/3.6.9-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/tun.ko.gz

For me, running that command worked, and tunctl and OpenVPN worked okay afterwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...