Sunday 18 March 2018

hard drive - How do I make HDParm or equivalent settings persist in Windows?

I have a laptop with a harddrive that spins down so aggressively (after ~10s of inactivity) that it causes performance problems in games and various other apps that have frequent but spread out drive accesses. The spin-up causes a two second pause in whatever app is initiating the disk access.


I've found a half-solution which is to use hdparm for windows to change the drive's spin down timeout. But the problem is if the system reboots or sleeps, that value gets lost, and I have to run hdparm again.


What would be a good solution to make this kind of fix permanent? I run hdparm via batch files right now, but that requires a security prompt click, so it can't really be properly automated. Is there a way to make the equivalent changes to the drive settings with some method other than hdparm?


Specifics:


Windows 8.1


MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 2PE-053


Hard drive in question is an HGST HTS721010A9E630 (Hitachi Travelstar 7k1000)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...