Friday 9 March 2018

How to download and run the Windows version of USBView (the USB device viewer)


I installed the Windows version of USBView (the USB device viewer) as part of a much-bigger set of tools. The installer installed a deep tree of many directories onto my PC, but it didn't seem to add USBView to my Start menu. It's not at all obvious how to launch the utility.


What's the correct way to download and install the Windows version of USBView (the USB device viewer)? Also, how can I run it?



Answer



There is no need to install any Microsoft DDK or SDK or any other Microsoft development kit. There is a freeware derivative, maintained by Uwe Sieber, named USBTreeView. Go there, download, unzip, and just run. It is only ~300 kilobytes. It is based on the same Microsoft open-source code, but is much better, with more functionality, and with fewer bugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...