Saturday 10 March 2018

Getting Windows 7's Explorer to display search box without enabling Windows search


I want to get the search box back in Windows 7 without having to enable the Windows Search service. Is there a registry key to make it behave like in Vista, so I can just do searches on the fly without having some pesky indexing service running in the background?



Answer




I want to get the search box back in Win7 without having to enable the Windows Search service.



this is not possible. Windows Search is required for the Search box to function.


however, you can enable Windows Search and disable indexing separately. but searches will be signifacantly slower.


Alternatively, you may want to have a look at Voidtool's Everything, taking Windows desktop search to a whole new level, unrivaled in speed and capability.


Everything is freeware, a portable version is available.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...