Thursday 8 March 2018

efi - Windows 7 + Ubuntu dual boot + conversion to GPT

I have received a new Lenovo T420 laptop with Windows 7.


The disk now contains:



  • a hidden SYSTEM_DRV boot partition (1.17 gb, 400mb used). I'm guessing this is the EFI partition, the laptop comes with UEFI instead of legacy BIOS. This partition is NTFS formatted.

  • the win7 partition

  • a rescue partition


As I've come to understand, the bios is EFI but MBR is used, not GPT.


Since I'm going to install linux anyway, I figured it would be a good idea to convert to GPT.


I found the tool fdrive, that offers the option to covert the MBR partition table to GPT partition table. But I don't know what happens with that boot partition, with the windows installation and things like that.


If anyone has looked into such issues please advise. Maybe there's something I dont understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...