Tuesday 13 February 2018

networking - Can I ping the public IP of a 3G dongle?

I want to ping my mobile device. It's a Raspberry Pi which has a 3G dongle and a working 3G connection. I can ping from my device to the outside but not the other way around.


What I've researched so far




  1. I understand that my provider is giving my dongle an IPv4 address that is behind a many-to-one NAT gateway. Thus I cannot ping my dongle's public IP from the wild internet.




  2. To my knowledge my provider (Telekom Germany) still doesn't support IPv6 for mobile connections which may be a potential solution because every device should get its own IP.




  3. I know that you can buy SIM cards with static IPv4 addresses. But they are too expensive for my needs




Am I out of options?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...