Wednesday 17 January 2018

windows - What are the different ways of remotely connecting to your computer?


I'll be leaving for uni soon and would like to know the different methods of connecting remotely to my home pc.


I know about VPN but are there any other ways? Also how secure is each of this method as I wouldn't want snoopers on my home-pc especially when I'm away.


Also can i set up a remote connection to start and shut down my computer


My operating system is windows, but if linux is more secure i would be willing to switch.



Answer



A VPN is essential, since only this option will provide you with a secure connection at no cost. With that, your next task is consider what kind of connection you wish.



  • Remote Desktop: If you need the benefits of controlling your computer from afar. You can launch applications and control them. Especially useful if these applications do not have a command-line interface.

  • File Sharing: If you only need to pass files between your desktop and whatever computer you are using to connect to it, Remote Desktop is unnecessary and overkill. All you will need is to enable File Sharing and share one or more of your Desktop folders.

  • Software Control: If you need a software-based unified solution for remote desktop and computer access, you can turn on to programs like Symantec PCAnywhere.

  • Web Services: You can also use one of several available web services for remote access. TeamViewer, GoToMyPC, or LogMeIn

  • Telnet/SSH: Finally, the "raw" connection is also available. Through software like PuTTY you can establish a telnet session between your distant desktop and your current computer.


Akira, provides in the comments of this post a nice link to an extensive list of applications and solutions handling Remote Control: Remote Control Applications


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...