Wednesday 17 January 2018

Windows 10 "ghost files", cannot be removed even by admin

When I try to remove files, they sometimes become "ghost files" that are impossible to delete. These files disappear when the computer is restarted, but restarting my computer isn't always a reasonable solution because of rendering or other long-running tasks. Programs which frequently create and remove files (such as programs using lock files) often stop working because of these ghost files they cannot remove or replace. No program can open the file, either.


File Access Denied when I try to remove the file:


File Access Denied when I try to remove the file


Security Settings when I right click the file:


Security Settings when I right click the file


This is a daily problem. How can I either fix Windows so that these ghost files won't show up, or manually remove them without rebooting when they show up?


Clarifications (EDIT):




  • My user has administrator privileges.




  • This isn't related to any single program, it just happens randomly and not every time. It tends to happen when I do things where files are frequently removed and then replaced with another one of the same name (using node packet manager, compiling C++ code in Visual Studio, etc).




  • I keep the files I work with in a normal directory tree directly under the C:/ drive, they are not in a user folder or any other protected location.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...