Thursday 4 January 2018

usb c - Why can't I find a USB-C hub with multiple USB-C ports?


My computer only has one USB-C port and I want to connect multiple USB-C devices to it.


I have trawled through amazon but am amazed that I cannot find a single one. There are many hubs that have USB 3.1 USB-A ports but not USB-C ones.


Is there a limitation in the spec that prevents this being possible?



Answer



The chips needed to produce one-to-many USB-C hubs essentially do not currently exist.


Some of the same complaints are outlined here:


https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/10/14/the-impossible-dream-of-usb-c/



None of these USB-C “hubs” actually give you more USB-C ports.



There is supposedly news for 2019/2020 that suggests hub chips may be coming soon:



Update (2018-07-30): Accidental Tech Podcast reports on a rumor that next year Intel will finally ship the chip that’s needed for making a USB-C that adds additional type-C ports.



http://atp.fm/episodes/284



We've heard from an anonymous person that Intel is finally releasing a hub chip for USB-C next year. We may not see products based on it until 2020.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...