Sunday 7 January 2018

troubleshooting - can a video card 'silently' fail?


I've been running a asus gforce 8800 gts 320mb on my desktop, and apparently there was a sudden failure. I'm getting no output from it, but the system seems to have booted up - since i can hear sound from it. Monitor seems fine, but i have no other DVI-D devices to test if its a DVI issue, but VGA input into the monitor works fine.


So, could a video card fail in such a way that it might pass POST tests, and the system could still boot up?


EDIT: should it be relevant, the system runs windows XP professional.Ping and RDP are disabled. I'll also be trying the card on another system later


Tested: different computer using VGA on monitor


Switching DVI ports on the same card


Switching DVI cables - apparently works for a while then goes down again


Not possible to test right at the moment


Trying a different card on the system (but that would solve the problem if it is a mysterious card failure)


SUSPECTS


Overheating - the card worked when switched on after it was shut down.


Cable - ruled out


Connection - switched cables, both cables were secured during testing



Answer



The short answer is yes. The final output stage of the card could fail. POST cannot test this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...