Wednesday 3 January 2018

Open a new tab/window in an existing Firefox instance on Linux

I would like to open a URL from the command line and have this open as a new tab or window in an already running and responding instance of Firefox. I'm using Debian's Sid branch. If I do the following:


In term 1:


$ firefox

In term 2:


$ firefox 'http://www.google.com'

Update: I've also tried -new-tab and -new-window, but I get the same result.


$ firefox -new-tab 'http://www.google.com'

I get the message:


Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, 
you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

This has been discussed before (e.g. here and here), however, I do not want to kill the existing instance of Firefox (it's doing just fine) and I don't want to use a different profile. This works seamlessly with Google Chrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...