Wednesday 17 January 2018

networking - How do I change the order of WiFi Networks in Windows 8.1 to give priority to one over another?


In Mac OS X you can change the order of remembered wireless networks by moving them up and down the list. This will change which WiFi network gets connected first.


I can't seem to find the equivalent setting in Windows 8.1. How can I change the settings so that I give preference to a particular network over another?


Thanks.



Answer



Windows 8 lacks a GUI way to do this which is unfortunate.




  1. At an elevated (admin) command prompt run the following command to see the available wireless networks and their current priorities:


    netsh wlan show profiles

    1




  2. Note the name of the interface and the wireless network and use the following command to change the latter's priority:


    netsh wlan set profileorder name="w1r3l3$$" interface="Wi-Fi" priority=1


  3. Running netsh wlan show profiles again will show you the changed order.




Source


Naturally people have made GUIs to overcome this ridiculous omission, so you can use something like WiFi Profile Manager 8 instead:


2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...