In Mac OS X you can change the order of remembered wireless networks by moving them up and down the list. This will change which WiFi network gets connected first.
I can't seem to find the equivalent setting in Windows 8.1. How can I change the settings so that I give preference to a particular network over another?
Thanks.
Answer
Windows 8 lacks a GUI way to do this which is unfortunate.
At an elevated (admin) command prompt run the following command to see the available wireless networks and their current priorities:
netsh wlan show profiles
Note the name of the interface and the wireless network and use the following command to change the latter's priority:
netsh wlan set profileorder name="w1r3l3$$" interface="Wi-Fi" priority=1Running
netsh wlan show profilesagain will show you the changed order.
Naturally people have made GUIs to overcome this ridiculous omission, so you can use something like WiFi Profile Manager 8 instead:

No comments:
Post a Comment