Friday 19 January 2018

networking - Access Internal Network IP through another computer


So I have ssh access to my desktop computer at work, I use Endpoint security VPN on my mac to connect to the desktop computer. Which works great, I can access most internal IPs through this VPN. However there seems to be internal IPs that I can only connect to on my Desktop PC at work. Is there anyway I can use my desktop computer at work to act as an in-between, to send traffic that I request from my home computer and then forward it to the actual internal server and send the result back to the home computer?


I have tried searching on here and google but either don't understand the results or have a feeling that it wasn't what I was looking for. I have been looking into ssh tunnelling but not sure if that is what I'm looking for. Thanks!



Answer



Ya you can use SSH Tunneling to achieve this. Let us assume that your machines are macbook, desktop and internal_box. internal_box can only be SSHed from desktop machine. Then you first create the tunnel on your macbook to internal_box via desktop using


ssh -L 2222:internal_box:22 user@desktop

Thsi will open port 2222 on macbook and forward all the packets to 2222 via desktop to port 22 of internal_box. So now internal_box is avilable at port 2222 of macbook


So you can connect to internal_box using


ssh user@127.0.0.1 -p 2222

If the above SSH succeeds, then you are connected to your ``internal_boxon yourmacbookviadesktop`. Hope that helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...