Saturday 6 January 2018

My ISP locked me out of my router


I did a quick search for this and didn't find results, so I'm thinking its just as bizarre as I thought.


MY internet went down last night, and after 20 minutes of unstable it was back. But out of curiosity I decided to login in to my router and take a look, and perhaps force a reboot if necessary. When I tried, it told me the credentials were invalid (even though I was in there last week), and after numerous attempts, I sent an email to my ISP admin.


He wrote me back saying he had accessed my home router remotely to do some updates and he had changed the user/pw because "there really isn’t much in there that anyone would need to change other than myself".


I pointed out that he has taken away my ability to allow/disallow firewall programs, use port forwarding and manage my network, essentially. I have not gotten an answer or resolution yet.


Anyone else heard of an ISP locking you out of your own router? Could it be because its their equipment? This is a home network we're talking about. A little AirOS router for my family, not the broadband router at the tower.


I realize its his router and he can do whatever he pleases, but is this something you've seen or dealt with before?


Thoughts?



Answer



Depending on the ISP, AT&T in america Allows some configurations but not much, Comcast doesn't supply the router, etc.. If you want full control ask what modems works with your ISP and buy that and the router and throw out the rental. You offer the service, not the equipment. That's my motto.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...