Friday 19 January 2018

macos - How to access an APFS volume on Windows machine


I have a Lacie 4TB external HDD which have 1.5 TB of data but I am not able to access it as it looks like the the file system of the volume which contains my data is Apple's File System and I cant find any way to access it from windows machine.


Please Help!!!


EDIT : Is it even possible? Or Do I need to hack my way through it? Cause I really dont wanna pay any direct/indirect singly penny to Apple.



Answer



There is certainly a way to read the data off the disk, although not natively (in the file explorer).


The easiest way to read it is using one of many "Linux Reader"-like applications, that allow you to read almost any file system used on Linux, Windows or Mac (Linux Reader from DiskInternals can read your drive).


The second easiest way would be to mount the drive in a Live Linux environment (Debian, Ubuntu etc.) and do it there since Linux systems have modules for all modern file systems (including NTFS for Windows and HFS+ for Mac).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...