Wednesday 10 January 2018

I have a broken USB drive, that shows as two physical disks, one with a negative size


My USB drive has broken quite spectacularly.


What has happened is that I used to have one, 1GB pendrive. Now, apparently, I have two physical disks (yes, physical disks not partitions - linux and windows mount them like that), one 982MB in in size, and still very much alive, and another -512B (yes, it's negative!) in size. It wouldn't mind, but windows PCs go beserk when you give them a drive with a negative size. I'm looking for a way to wipe the whole drive (it's a USB pendrive), and i'm very happy to do it physically if there is a way to do it with a magnet or something.


None of the usual methods will work, I've tried:


All of the $ fdisk methods
$ sudo shred
> DISKPART on windows
GParted
All of the $ dd methods

Answer



It sounds like a hardware problem. Your question implies you can still mount the remaining partition on Linux. Do that, and grab a copy of all your data because the drive will quite probably fail any minute now.


You can literally buy a new 1GB drive for $7 (US), so I'd say your best bet is to simply replace it rather than hope it won't degrade further.


If the device contained sensitive information, be sure to dispose of it properly: use thermite, or an industrial-strength office shredder.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...