Friday 19 January 2018

How do IP answer packets reach their destination inside of a private LAN?

This is a little theory question that has been confusing me for a pretty long time.


Basically, if we are inside of a private LAN, and we want incoming packets to reach, for example, an HTTP server located on one of the machines, we forward ports so that incoming packets reach exactly that computer.


Now, I'm quite confused as to how 'response' packets reach their destination inside of a LAN, like, when we open a web page or so. Can't really find any useful information on that topic.


I hope someone can give me a couple of clues or link me to some information that might explain it. Thanks.


EDIT: I think I should clarify. An example of what I'm asking would be something like this:
1. A computer inside of a LAN with a single external IP tries to load a web-page from a web-server outside of this LAN (Basically on the Internet)
2. The web-server responds and sends the web-page back to that computer.


What quite confuses me at this point is, how does the router know what computer to send the incoming data (given the router is connected to a LAN with multiple computers) without previous port forwarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...