Tuesday 2 January 2018

desktop search - Indexing PDFs in Windows 8


Windows 8's desktop search seems not to index PDFs. Is this by design or have I misconfigured something?



Answer



Windows 8 should be able to index PDFs out of the box. Just press Win+W / type "index" / Indexing Options / Advanced / File Types tab, select PDF and ensure that Index Properties and File Contents is selected:


1


Also, as per this Adobe forum thread, seems like installing Acrobat XI can actually break Win8's PDF indexing ability. Considering the fact that Adobe's iFilter/preview handler+thumbnailing feature has been broken for more than 3 years now, this comes as no great surprise to me. Adobe has responded with an official workaround to restore the native Windows 8 PDF iFilter functionality.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...