Sunday 2 December 2018

Using genealogy software to hunt down branches of the family tree



My kin are spread around the globe and I would like to create a family tree to share with all the members of the clan.


I'm not sure how I go about this and may be looking to use some software that allows me to update it on occasion. Hopefully one with an intuitive interface that makes it easier to do so.


Ideally it would have the following features:



  • accessible by family members in different parts of the world, both to edit and view

  • handle unusual family situations

  • able to view trees that grow wide very quickly (i.e. many children per family)

  • not be locked into a proprietary file format

  • full Unicode support, such as being able to handle Traditional Chinese characters



Answer



Another vote for geni.com from me. It's basically a combination of a social network and a family tree.



  • It's free, with a premium option.

  • It has a very responsive flash-based interface that is pretty easy to learn.

  • It's viral. When you add a family member you are prompted for their email address. If you provide it, they will get an invitation and will be able to start adding content themselves.

  • Not sure about the unusual family situations, but the same person can be in two places in the family tree, same-sex couples are easy, and I'm pretty sure they support adoption and polygamy.

  • They're adding new features all the time, which is nice.


The main problem is that all of the information is stored in their servers. They do provide export mechanisms and GEDCOM support, but I haven't tried it, and I'm pretty sure not all the information is extractable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...