Monday 3 December 2018

ubuntu - Windows 10: Can I safely remove WINRE or RECOVERY partitions?

I'm attempting to install Ubuntu Linux alongside Windows 10 in a dual-boot configuration. However, my hard drive comes with four Primary partitions already created, as seen here in gParted:


http://i.imgur.com/ZIJGNWM.png


Thus, I must remove a partition to allow for an extended partition, in which I can place my logical partitions for Linux. I'll shrink the Windows partition to create space.




  • I created a recovery USB drive using the HP Recovery Media Creation tool desktop app. Does this drive fully replace the functionality of either the WINRE or RECOVERY partitions? If so, can I safely remove either partition without messing up my Windows 10 installation in any way (including boot process), voiding any warranties, or preventing myself from restoring Windows 10 in the future?




  • I know that holding Shift while clicking the Restart button will restart your computer into a special menu where you can change certain settings or boot from removable media (source, step 4 in the article). Is this special menu reliant on either the WINRE or RECOVERY partitions? Is the computer in fact booting into one of these partitions to display this menu?




  • What exactly are the purposes of these two partitions?




NOTE: I've read other questions regarding hard drives with four primary partitions already created. They don't resolve my issue, as they don't address the WINRE and RECOVERY partitions on a Windows 10 system specifically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...