Tuesday 18 December 2018

router - Why can't I reach SSH from my public IP but random hacker-bots can?

I have a Raspberry Pi3 with Raspbian Stretch that is behind a home router.


/var/log/auth.log in the RPi consistently shows failed login attempts with generic usernames (root, operator, webmaster, and so on), on random ports with high numbers, 3 attemps every 10 seconds approximately, from a chinese address. I know this is unsurprising.


What I don't understand is how come PuTTY can't reach that same server when I try to contact it through my public IP ?


I am very much a newbie in this field, but with my knowledge, this is a complete paradox.


Some additional technical notes :




  • iptables is untouched




  • nmap to my public IP address gives "all 1000 ports scanned are filtered"



  • a functionnal LAMP server hosts an Owncloud that works, but only from LAN, as any attemps of contacting my public IP address miserably fail.

  • my attempts at connecting to my public IP are made from the same LAN as the RPi's.

  • port 22 is redirected to the RPi in the router, and the router's firewall is completely off for the purpose of my present tests.

  • in the router, my RPi is set to be in the DMZ. Afaik, results are the same with this setting off.


Where are my packets dropped and why ?


Where could I search for the log that would show me ?


Thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...