Sunday 2 December 2018

networking - Wireless adapter suddenly not detecting network


I've a desktop PC with a wireless adapter stick and a laptop on my table. My phone sitting on the table most of the time as well.


Usually, all three devices are connected to the internet via wifi by the router downstairs. What suddenly happened is that my desktop PC (Windows 8.1 Pro) isn't detecting the wireless network.


Other networks from my neighbors that are in range show up just fine on the desktop PC, just my own isn't. The laptop and phone that are right next to it see it and connect to it just fine and everything works as usual.


I've tried 3 different usb wifi sticks, I've tried a factory reset on the router, I've tried restarting everything multiple times, I've tried reinstalling the wifi stick drivers, nothing changes.


Bridging my laptop's wifi connection via ethernet cable works, but that's just a temporary bandaid.


Googling doesn't turn up anything. No idea where to even begin troubleshooting this.



Answer



After fiddling with router settings, I found the solution. Namely, my wireless mode was set to 802.11b+g+n. By changing that to 802.11g+n, my PC is seeing my home network and connects to it without a hitch.


I don't know how or why that helped, but it did, and I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. Hopefully this answer will help someone else stumbling onto this issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...