Sunday 2 December 2018

Cygwin window closes immediately

The configuration:



  • Windows 10 (64-bit) (Fresh installation)

  • Cygwin64 fresh installation (downloaded setup-x86_64.exe)


Installation looks like it worked. However, when I try to launch the newly created shortcut, the window closes immediately.


The shortcut target is C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -.


If I modify it to C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -h always -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -, the window stays open, but the message inside is Failed to run /Cygwin-Terminal.ico: Permission denied.


The following might be a red herring, but I suspect it is actually related to the problem: If I run cmd and cd c:\cygwin64, I can run Cygwin.bat, however the prompt is Unknown+User@DESKTOP-6SQ80GV ~, which is not actually my username. /cygdrive/c/cygwin64/Cygwin-Terminal.ico is owned by Unknown+User with group of Administrators, and has permissions of 644. If I chmod +x it, the error message in the window changes to:


C:/cygwin64/sbin/nologin.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/sbin/nologin: Exit 127

I've done some quick searching and my google-fu is apparently failing, as I'm not finding much to go on. I'm guessing I could thrash around and eventually make things work, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows "what is the right way to fix this problem?".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...