Tuesday 20 November 2018

keyboard - Chrome: Selecting a link by doing search on its text


I'm trying to use my computer using the keyboard exclusively, without touching the mouse. When browsing the web it can get hard. I use Tab to select links, but there are often dozens of links on a webpage. I can use Chrome's text search (Ctrl-F) to home in on a piece of text in no time; But I can't figure out how to use it to click on a link.


For example, let's say there's a link on a webpage with the text "Swedish Furniture". I can easily find it by typing Ctrl-F s w e d, and then Chrome marks the link as found, but is there any way to follow the link after it's found without tabbing through all the links on the page?



Answer



To follow a link after it's found in search, press Esc followed by Enter.


Chrome Search Cheat Sheet



  1. Ctrl+F to open the search box.

  2. Ctrl+G or Enter moves through all highlighted results.

  3. Ctrl+Shift+G or Shift+Enter reverse move through all highlighted results.

  4. Esc closes search box, turns off all highlights, selects the focused text/link

  5. Enter to follow a link after highlights are off.


Use Cmd instead of Ctrl on Mac.


No extensions required.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...