Friday 23 November 2018

linux - ip versus ifconfig


After reading this answer, I began my quest for the difference between ip and ifconfig for *nix systems. I soon learned that ip had "more" features than ifconfig, but what's the real difference? Is there any reason not to use ifconfig when it provides the functions I need? (E.g. security implications) Like to know since I'm an avid ifconfig user.



Answer



Simple answer: On Linux ifconfig is obsolete.


From man ifconfig:



This program is obsolete! For replacement check ip addr and ip link. For statistics use ip -s link.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...