Saturday 24 November 2018

router - How to check wifi networking standard of current connection


Both my router and my wireless networking card support the standards 802.11a/b/g/n but as I'm only getting speeds around 30-40 Mbit/s I suspect that it's the g standard being used instead of n. Now, I'd like to verify this somehow, so my question is: Is there a way (like a network diagnistics tool or the like) to find out which standard is currently used in the communication between computer and router?



Answer



On Windows (tested on Win7, should be compatible with Vista back to Windows XP):


C:\Users\kuba>netsh wlan show interfaces

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name : Wireless Network Connection 2
Description : DW1520 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card
State : connected
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11g <-- the currently negotiated value
Authentication : WPA-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Auto Connect
Channel : 11
Receive rate (Mbps) : 54
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 54
Signal : 82%
Profile : xxxx

Hosted network status : Not started

On many Linux flavors (including Debian) use iwconfig. Although it doesn't display a string such as "802.11n", it does display Bit Rate:54 Mb/s among other settings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact&#39;s avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...