Monday 26 November 2018

windows - How to run Firefox in Protected Mode? (i.e. at low integrity level)


I noticed that Firefox, unlike Chrome and Internet Explorer, doesn't run in the Low Mandatory Level (aka Protected Mode, Low Integrity)


Google Chrome:


alt text


Microsoft Internet Explorer:


enter image description here


Mozilla Firefox:


alt text


Following Microsoft's instructions, I can manually force Firefox into Low Integrity Mode by using:


icacls firefox.exe /setintegritylevel Low 

However Firefox doesn't react well to not running with enough rights:


alt text


I like the security of knowing that my browser is running with less rights than I have. Is there a way to run Firefox into low rights mode? Is Mozilla planning on adding "protected mode" sometime? Has someone found a workaround to Firefox not handling low rights mode?




Update


From a July 2007 interview with Mike Schroepfer, VP of Engineering at the Mozilla Foundation:



...we also believe in defense in depth and are investigating protected mode along with many other techniques to improve security for future releases.



After three years it doesn't seem like it is a priority.




  • 9/28/2013

  • 5 years later

  • Firefox 24.0

  • still doesn't support protected mode



Answer



Unfortunately there is currently no way of running Firefox in Protected Mode.


If you're not running 64-bit Windows, you can get something somewhat similar using Sandboxie.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...