Tuesday 27 November 2018

Wireshark: Accessing USB Bus Interfaces without sudo

I am trying to monitor some USB traffic using Wireshark on Linux (Ubuntu). If I start Wireshark as my normal user without root privileges, the USB bus interfaces are not listed. If I sudo wireshark though, I do see the USB bus interfaces. This is perhaps best illustrated using the dumpcap command to list the available capture interfaces:


~$dumpcap -D


1. eth0
2. any (Pseudo-device that captures on all interfaces)
3. lo

versus


~$sudo dumpcap -D


1. eth0
2. usbmon1 (USB bus number 1)
3. usbmon2 (USB bus number 2)
4. usbmon3 (USB bus number 3)
5. usbmon4 (USB bus number 4)
6. usbmon5 (USB bus number 5)
7. usbmon6 (USB bus number 6)
8. usbmon7 (USB bus number 7)
9. usbmon8 (USB bus number 8)
10. any (Pseudo-device that captures on all interfaces)
11. lo

Is there a way I can configure Wireshark so that I don't have to run as root to get access to the usb bus interfaces? I've previously followed a guide to setup wireshark so that I don't have to run it as root to see the Ethernet interfaces, so I'm wondering whether it's simply a matter of changing permissions on some other executable to be able see USB interfaces without running as root...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...