Friday 30 November 2018

Cisco VPN Client - External URL are tracked?


I'm using a Cisco VPN client to connect to a local server of my society. Do they track all the URLs I visit when connected to the VPN Client? If I go for example on bbc.com, is it recorded in my log (if there's any)?


Thanks.



Answer



Based on our discussion, you seem exclusively concerned about local logging from the cisco VPN client, monitoring connections that are not using the VPN.


Cisco does not log IP connection information, except that which pertains to the VPN connection itself, like establishment, maintenance, and disconnection. See here for examples of the logs the VPN client uses: https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/150666/software-vpn-client-logging-common-issues


The statistics you are seeing, are simple interface connection statistics, based on the standard windows interface statistics.


In terms of remote side logging, and bypass, The VPN client intercepts all traffic the host wants to send onto the network, and performs a route lookup on the IP, to determine how to handle it. If split tunneling is disabled, the default gateway for the interface is set to send all traffic to the VPN host network, but if it is enabled, the default gateway remains as it was, sending all traffic to unknown networks out the normal LAN interface, and out your internet connection. That means that other than the Client itself, no other equipment is able to log the URL. if you disable split tunneling and send your internet traffic onto the VPN LAN, at which point, equipment on that LAN might choose to log your connections.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...