Sunday 25 November 2018

power supply - Computer hangs due to underpowered UPS?


I just bought a new UPS. Now since I started using it I experienced at least 3 random freeze in Windows 7 and it happens during the first 10 minutes of start-up. Note when I say freeze, I mean I literally can't do anything in Windows, everything is frozen including the mouse cursor.


Is it possible that I bought a broken or underpowered UPS? Can an underpowered UPS make a computer freeze?


BTW, this power calculator says I'm under 300W, but I do have 500W PSU.


Update: FEB 9, 2012


I have replaced my APC UPS with another brand: FSP UPS which is the same brand with my PSU. It's been running with no problem for the last 5 days.


In reference to my answer below: Could it be really true that non-SmartUPS APC models are not compatible with active PFC PSUs? I find it hard to believe since most branded PSUs are active PFC.



Answer



After returning the item to where I bought it, we are unable to figure the problem until I contacted APC support:


APC support said my PSU is incompatible with my UPS. Moreover they said, any PSU with Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) is not compatible with my UPS. So the solution is to get a PSU that is none PFC or get a compatible UPS (usually APC Smart UPS however it is 8x more expensive).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...