Friday 30 November 2018

Using Git to Manage An iTunes Library?


I've been considering using Git to manage my iTunes library and allow me to sync it between computers.


Can you think of any reasons why this would be a bad idea?



Answer



The main drawback is disk space. The repository itself will take the same amount of space as the set of "checked-out" files. This means when you clone the repository your collection will basically take twice as much disk space.


Worse still, even if you delete files you no longer want, there will still be copies in your repository, taking up space.


You might want to look at synchronisation tools like unison which is designed for two-way synchronisation of files across multiple machines.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...