Friday 23 November 2018

ubuntu - How to remove/reset Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows Insider Build 14316


I installed the Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14316. Now I would like to remove it or, better, revert to its factory defaults i.e. as it was when just installed.


I tried, to remove it from the "Turn Windows features on or off" windows, with no luck. I tried, to mark it as "off" in the above windows and delete its files manually located in %USERPROFILE%/AppData/Local/lxss, with no luck.


Has anyone succeeded in removing/resetting the Ubuntu user-mode environment?



Answer



The following answer only applies to WSL on Windows 10 1703 and 1607. WSL on Windows 10 1709+ can be installed from within the Windows Store UWP application.


If you want to remove and reset the Linux subsystem, open a command line prompt with elevated permissions and enter the following commands:


lxrun /uninstall /full 

lxrun /install

Sources:




  1. https://www.slightfuture.com/technote/lxss-lxrun




  2. Installing Fish Shell on Ubuntu on Windows 10




  3. HOWTO: Ubuntu on Windows | Ubuntu Insights




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...