Friday 16 November 2018

How to disable the "Get Windows 10" icon shown in the notification area (tray)?


This icon showed up in my taskbar notification area today and I cannot seem to get rid of it:


Get Windows 10


Clicking on it displays the following screen:


Get Windows 10


So how do I disable or remove the "Get Windows 10" icon?



Answer



If you just want to remove the tray icon until the next restart you can terminate the GWX.exe process using Task Manager.


To get rid of the icon permanently, uninstall KB3035583 which is responsible for these notifications: Control panel, windows update, installed updates, sort by name, "Update for Microsoft Windows KB3035583" (not a Security Update), uninstall, reboot.
(Alternative: open CMD and enter wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583)


When you're offered the same again via Windows Update remember to hide it.


After uninstalling, if remnants of the update's files are still in Windows\System32\GWX, just delete that directory, although first you may need to take ownership of it.


1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...