Monday 17 September 2018

Install Windows on separate drive WITHOUT dual boot

I have 2 physical drives drive 1 and drive 2. My drive 1 already has a Windows 8 installed, and I want to insall a Windows 7 on my drive 2


I first tried to boot from a USB stick and tried to install windows 7 on the drive 2. It installed windows successfully, however it seems to have added a boot entry to my drive 1 (this is dual boot right ?). However this is not what I wanted to achieve. If from the BIOS, I boot into drive 2, it says the media is not bootable.


I wanted to have totally independent installation. Ie. booting from the bios on drive 2 should run the new Windows I just installed (withouteven suggesting to switch to Windows 8 on drive 1). (Drive 1 is old and I want to do something else with it anyway)


One obvious solution is to unplug every Drive but drive 2 so that Windows is forced to install boot info on drive 2. But is there another way which does not require to manually unplug the other drives ? Did I miss something during the Windows installation ? Can I actually control where the boot is going to be placed with the classic bootable Windows ISO ?


Is this Windows-version specific ? I am installing Windows 7 because I have a win7 key/ISO and I know I can run the free Win10 upgrade from there.


EDIT (why would I possibly want that ?) :



  • Drive1 is too small (128GB SSD), while drive2 is bigger (250GB SSD) and I am going to gift drive1 to someone else (so remove it from my comp).

  • Drive1 is showing signs of failure, and I am expecting drive1 to completely fail sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...