Monday 3 September 2018

How do I use different audio devices for different apps in Windows 8?


Besides switching the default audio device, how can I send the audio from one Windows Store (aka Metro) app (say x-box music) to one audio device, and another (say the video app) to another audio device?



Answer



So yes, there is a UI that does what I want, but it requires the correct kind of devices to work, and as far as I can tell, it only works over the network, and not with local devices.


If you have a suitable network speaker system, and sharing is turned on, then from the xbox music app, you can simply open up the charms menu, select devices, and select the audio device you want to stream to, and then everything plays just fine to that device.


See http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/APP-408T At 16:16, he demonstrates exactly what I'm wanting to do, but when I go to the devices charm, I get a message: "You don't have any devices that can receive content from Music".


Unfortunately Generic USB audio devices do not get picked up as a usable playback device.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...