Monday 12 March 2018

windows - How to fake a network path?


If possible, I would like to make a network folder of my choosing to listen to \\Albert-pc\Templates\. The computer Albert-pc doesn't exist anymore. How can I make a "fake" network path \\Albert-pc\Templates? Preferably on the Windows server, but a local redirect is also just fine.


Underlying problem: Many MS Word files are attached to an old network template like \\Albert-pc\Templates\Fax.dot while both path and template do not exist anymore and when I open such Word file it takes really minutes to open. If the path exists, then Word opens just as quickly as normal, whether the template it refers to is present or not (this I have tested).



Answer



Mapping the unc path is easy.. net use it's getting it to match for Albert-Pc which is hard.


What about your hosts file, Cant your just throw albert-pc in there or name your pc Albert-pc?


You could also setup a loopback adapter and then put albert-pc as the address of that. it would be easier than faking the protocols required to do this.


The only other way is to make a UNC / SMB listener which responds to Albert/PC and gives you really the files in any directory you want from where you want them.


You can also setup an alias to your machine as Albert-PC or you can setup a VM and map to the vm...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...