Tuesday 6 March 2018

linux - Fedora 19 fails to start

I had updated fedora 17 to fedora 19 (kernel 3.10.11-200) on my laptop using fedup a ~2-3 weeks back. Everything was fine until yesterday night. All of a sudden while shutting down I got some recurring kernel error message. I couldn't note it down and I powered off the system forcibly. The next morning when I started the system the login screen fails to start. I am just able to see kernel messages. I get this message:


failed to start wait for plymouth boot screen to quit


When I start terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2 i get this message when I log in:


login: write lastlog failed: No space left on device


yum updatedoesn't work and fails with this message:


error: db5 error(11) from dbenv->open: Resource temporarily unavailable
error: cannot open Packages index using db5 - Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
error: cannot open Packages in /var/lib/rpm
CRITICAL:yum.main:

Error: rpmdb open failed

I have around 50 GB for the root partition. Can't understand how can all this space run out. The disk is LVM partitioned. Is there any way to rescue the system without losing files on /home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...